Wellington Rainbow Sports & Culture Weekend
Friday 27 - Sunday 29 January
Rainbow Team Wellington and Proud2Play New Zealand are bringing us the Wellington Rainbow Sport and Culture Weekend - an informal and friendly LGBTI social weekend of fun and competition from Friday 27th to Sunday 29th January. It is about encouraging the growth of the LGBTI sport and culture community in New Zealand. Several organisations are participating by running events in their respective fields over the same weekend. There is a Register button on the webpage for each event on the website. Tickets are on sale for the Rainbow dinner on Saturday 26 January - bookings essential.
Auckland Pride Festival
10-26 February 2017
The dates for the main events are now on the Festival website - including:
Pride Gala - Friday 10 Feb
Big Gay Out - Sunday 12 Feb
Same Same But Different Writer’s Festival - see below
Heroic Garden Festival - Saturday 18 – Sunday 19 Feb
Auckland Pride Parade - Saturday 25 Feb
Labrys Women's Softball Tournament - Friday 17 Feb
The full Festival programme is now online ... and it's awesome.
Same Same but Different LGBTI Writers' Festival
17-18 February 2017 @ AUT
After the successful launch of the samesame but different festival 1n 2016, they are back with another vibrant weekend of queer writing and writers specifically for a New Zealand audience ... more on facebook
Wellington Pride Festival | Tū whakahīhī e Te Whanganui-ā-Tara
3rd - 19 March 2017
The Wellington Pride Festival | Tū whakahihi e Te Whanganui-ā-Tara 2017 will run from 3rd - 19th March, culminating with the Pride Parade and Out in the Park celebrations on Saturday 18th March ... more on facebook. The organisers are currently calling for volunteers for a variety of roles.
Ladyhawke is coming home over summer and she has two gigs:
Tegan & Sara live
Saturday 11 March, Bruce MAson Centre, Takapuna
- Charlotte Museum of lesbian culture, a lesbian museum for New Zealand ... like their facebook page to keep up to date with their events and special exhibitions
- Lesbian social night - last Wednesday of the month at the Auckland Women's Centre
- Lesbian League - social group with a range of activities
- lesbian.co.nz - a directory and more
- Lesbian News Aotearoa successor to the print Tamaki Makaurau Lesbian Newsletter
- aLBa (formerly Auckland Lesbian Business Association) on facebook
- Auckland dykes on facebook
- EquAsian - an LGBTQI+ group for Asian Aucklanders
- Lesbian News Aotearoa's social page - information and contact details
for lesbian groups and activities throughout the country.
gaynz.com/community is also useful
- LSG - Waikato's Social Group for Lesbians and on facebook.
- Waikato/Bay of Plenty Bisexual/Lesbian Women’s Group
- Bay of Plenty dykes on facebook
- Sapphic Table - Meetup group for Tauranga/Bay women who enjoy good, food and conversation in the company of other lesbian/takatāpui women
- Deco Divas - Hawke's Bay
- Wanganui's own 'Flock of Lesbians' - Regular meetings for coffee, activities, support, ideas sharing, and a laugh email: email firstname.lastname@example.org and join in the loop. Lesbians visiting Wanganui welcome to email and we'll meet for coffee.
- Ms Q Manawatu meets the first Friday of every month for drinks.
Are you interested in being involved in the womens LBGT community? For more information and confidential support they offer a 24 hour phone line 022 451 6617 or email email@example.com
- Wellington Lesbian website - calender of activities and links to other local websites
- LILAC - the lesbian library in Wellington
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians - a Wellington region charitable trust
- Christchurch lesbians - information on the Women's Centre website
- Nelson/Tasman area
- Dunedin list on Lesbian News Aotearoa social page
- Beso Queenstown - a monthly LGBT party - on facebook
Social media places
A selection of the facebook groups that may be of interest:
- New Zealand lesbian and bisexual
- NZ lesbians social group - check their events for local meetups ... or set up a brunch lunch whatever ...
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women - plus there are other regional groups
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
Kiwi media online
NZ Lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull available to view for free online
The NZ lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull has been released to view for free online. It was shown during the 2015 NZ International Film Festival, and film maker Tim Worrall was interviewed for GayNZ.com by Jacqui Stanford. Subsequent to Jacqui's article the film has been screened at a number of prestigious LGBTQ festivals internationally including: Framline40, The Iris Prize, Inside Out, Outfest, as well as the Side by Side LGBT film festival in Leningrad, Russia.
Pot Luck web series
Pot Luck - our very own web series - follows the lives of three Wellington friends as they negotiate friendship, family and finding love at their weekly pot luck dinners. Catch up on the episodes you missed!! Also available on TVNZ On demand.
PrideNZ audio archive
PrideNZ.com is a community website exploring the voices and opinions of Aotearoa New Zealand's rainbow communities through over 600 audio recordings of interviews and of local LGBTI events. Plus there are transcripts, images and video available - some historically important. More recordings are added regularly.
Support Kiwi groups supporting LGBTIQ youth
Let's support the groups and organisations that support the youth in our communities - they are always short of $$$ for their valuable work. Most are registered charities and have Donate pages on their websites.
- InsideOUT is a Wellington-based national organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of diverse genders and sexualities to live and be in.
- Im Local - a project of Rainbow Youth that helps queer and gender diverse youth all over the country to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They focus on getting information into smaller centres and rural areas. I'm Local has a give a little we can support.
- Naming New Zealand is an organisation to help transgender, gender diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender.
- TRANZform is a support group for youth who identify as transgender, fa'afafine, whakawahine, tangata ira tane, intersex, two-spirits, genderqueer, non-gendered, questioning and their allies.
- traNZgear is a group of trans* people and supporters dedicated to providing cheap items essential to the day to day living of transgender people throughout New Zealand.
Helplines and support
- OUTline provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). Counselling by skype available by arrangement.
- I'm Local is a project to support queer and gender diverse youth all over Aotearoa. Their website is chock-a-block full of info about the a-z of being queer & gender diverse, plus a region-by-region map of all the queer and gender diverse support groups for young people.
- breakingboundaries.org.nz - a safe community chat forum for GLBTI and questioning youth.
- Rainbow Youth - an Auckland based organisation that provides support, information and advocacy and education for queer young people and their families. They have released an accessible educational resource which can be viewed online or downloaded.
- Intersex Youth Aotearoa - a place to share information, find support and network.
- Hohou Te Rongo Kahukura - Outing Violence - dedicated to building Rainbow communities in Aotearoa New Zealand free of partner and sexual violence.
Quality care for lesbian, gay and bisexual residents in aged care facilities
A kit created by the School of Nursing at The University of Auckland in collaboration with a working
group drawn from the aged care sector and the Auckland LGB community is available at dropbox. It a
short video, training workbooks for facilitators and participants, and guidelines on caring for LGB residents.
See also the Silver Rainbow faceboook group.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or just a holiday
Women travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.
Web space to go
Free webspace available for Absolutely Positively Lesbian! groups - a page or a wee website xxxxx.lesbian.net.nz - email firstname.lastname@example.org.