Lesbian News Aotearoa
Lesbian News Aotearoa's Social, Support and Dyke Diary pages have information and contact details for lesbian groups, activities and events throughout the country.
A Rainbow in the Village - Paekākāriki PRIDE Festival 2018
Friday 19 - Monday 22 October
Paekākāriki Pride is two years old and it has GONE WILD! This year they're adding a whole range of activities and events to keep everybody happy, engaged, busy, and most importantly, connected. Whether you're into physical, social, creative, laid-back, competitive, dress-up, quiet or LOUD & PROUD activities - there's something for everyone.
Rafiki to screen in Auckland, Wellington and Otaki
The Kenyan lesbian movie Rafiki, which screened in the recent International Film Festival, is coming back - to
- Auckland Thursday 26 October, 6pm, @ Rialro Cinema Newmarket. The screening will be followed by Q&A with director Wanuri Kahiu.
- Wellington Monday 29 October, 3pm @ Te Auaha cinema, Dixon St. The screening will be followed by Q&A with director Wanuri Kahiu. Tickets from Conferize
- Wellington Monday 29 October, 6pm, Beehive Theatrette, Parliament. Hosted by Jan Logie and Grant Robertson as guest. Invitation only but feel free to ask for an invitation - details on the Medium website
- Otaki Tuesday 30 October, 6pm, Maoriland Hub, 68 Main St, Otaki. It is as part of the Maoriland Film Festival ... more on facebook. Tickets from iticket. Director Wanuri Kahiu will be present.
Survey - LGBTQIA+ and mental health support
Researchers at Victoria University of Wellington have teamed up with Gender
Minorities Aotearoa, InsideOUT and RainbowYOUTH to survey LGBTQIA+ people about
their experiences with accessing mental health support in Aotearoa. Responses will
be used to make resources for mental health professionals.
See the flier or check the facebook page. The survey is at rainbowmentalhealth.nz - it will take about 20 minutes and you will go in a draw for a $50 voucher.
- Charlotte Museum of lesbian culture, a lesbian museum for New Zealand ... like their facebook page to keep up to date with their events and special exhibitions
- Rainbow Women's social night - last Wednesday of the month at the Auckland Women's Centre
- Lesbian League - social group with a range of activities
- lesbian.co.nz - a directory and more
- aLBa (formerly Auckland Lesbian Business Association) on facebook
- EquAsian - an LGBTQI+ group for Asian Aucklanders on facebook
- Birds of a Feather lesbian coffee group in Whangarei - facebook group
- LSG - Waikato's Social Group for Lesbians and on facebook.
- Bay of Plenty dykes on facebook
- Sapphic Table - Meetup group for Tauranga/Bay women who enjoy good, food and conversation in the company of other lesbian/takatāpui women
- Deco Divas - Hawke's Bay
- Wanganui's own 'Flock of Lesbians' - Regular meetings for coffee, activities, support, ideas sharing, and a laugh email: email firstname.lastname@example.org and join in the loop. Lesbians visiting Wanganui welcome to email and we'll meet for coffee.
- Ms Q Manawatu meets the first Friday of every month for drinks.
Are you interested in being involved in the womens LBGT community? For more information and confidential support they offer a 24 hour phone line 022 451 6617 or email email@example.com
- Wellington Lesbian website - calender of activities and links to other local websites
- LILAC - the lesbian library in Wellington
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians - a Wellington region charitable trust
- Nelson/Tasman area
- Christchurch lesbians - information on the Women's Centre website and on Lesbian News Aotearoa
- Dunedin - a list on Lesbian News Aotearoa social page
- Beso Queenstown - a monthly LGBT party - on facebook
Social media places
A selection of the facebook groups that may be of interest - login may be required
- New Zealand lesbian and bisexual
- NZ lesbians social group - lots of chatter
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women - plus there are other regional groups
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
Kiwi media online
Pot Luck webseries Season two
He Kākano Ahau – From The Spaces In Between
A short film about a courageous takatāpui activist is fighting for true diversity
in our Gay Pride celebrations.
New Zealand's Pride celebrations are glitzy and glamorous, but takatāpui activist Kassie (Ngāti Raukawa ki te Tonga) is challenging the inclusivity of the festival. The historic Wellington Pride celebration forces Kassie to make a decision. Will she take part and speak for those who are both queer and Māori?
This short documentary uses English and te reo Māori to tell an intensely personal story of a courageous wahine fighting to be heard. View it at loadingdocs.net/he-kakano-ahau/.
NZ Lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull available to view for free online
The NZ lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull has been released to view for free online. It was shown during the 2015 NZ International Film Festival, and has been screened at a number of prestigious LGBTQ festivals internationally including: Framline40, The Iris Prize, Inside Out, Outfest, as well as the Side by Side LGBT film festival in Leningrad, Russia.
PrideNZ audio archive
PrideNZ.com is a community website exploring the voices and opinions of Aotearoa New Zealand's rainbow communities through over 600 audio recordings of interviews and of local LGBTI events. Plus there are transcripts, images and video available - some historically important such as Parliamentay debates. More recordings are added regularly.
Two booklets by Elizabeth Kerekere are available online and to download at takatāpui.nz, a resource hub for Takatāpui and their whānau
Support Kiwi groups supporting LGBTIQ youth
Let's support the groups and organisations that support the youth in our communities - they are always short of $$$ for their valuable work. Most are registered charities and have Donate pages on their websites.
- InsideOUT is a Wellington-based national organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of diverse genders and sexualities to live and be in.
- Im Local - a project of Rainbow Youth that helps queer and gender diverse youth all over the country to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They focus on getting information into smaller centres and rural areas. I'm Local has a give a little we can support.
- Rainbow Youth - Auckland based group that initiates and supports projects nationwide including InsideOUT and Im Local.
- OUTLineNZ provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). For all ages and an important service. They have a givealittle page.
- Naming New Zealand is an organisation to help transgender, gender diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender.
- TRANZform is a support group for youth who identify as transgender, fa'afafine, whakawahine, tangata ira tane, intersex, two-spirits, genderqueer, non-gendered, questioning and their allies.
Helplines and support
- OUTline provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). Counselling by skype available by arrangement.
- I'm Local is a project to support queer and gender diverse youth all over Aotearoa. Their website is chock-a-block full of info about the a-z of being queer & gender diverse, plus a region-by-region map of all the queer and gender diverse support groups for young people.
- Rainbow Youth - an Auckland based organisation that provides support, information and advocacy and education for queer young people and their families. They have released an accessible educational resource which can be viewed online or downloaded.
- Intersex Youth Aotearoa - a place to share information, find support and network.
- Hohou Te Rongo Kahukura - Outing Violence - dedicated to building Rainbow communities in Aotearoa New Zealand free of partner and sexual violence.
- Voicing Pride - a storytelling platform that gives a voice to the unheard members of LGBTQ+ communities across all New Zealand secondary schools
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity FAQs - NZ Human Rights Commission
Quality care for lesbian, gay and bisexual residents in aged care facilities
A kit created by the School of Nursing at The University of Auckland in collaboration with a working group drawn from the aged care sector and the Auckland LGB community is available at dropbox. It a short video, training workbooks for facilitators and participants, and guidelines on caring for LGB residents.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or just a holiday
Women Travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.