Auckland Pride Festival
10-26 February 2017
The dates for the main events are now on the Festival website - including the Pride Gala, Big Gay Out, Same Same But Different Writer’s Festival, Heroic Garden Festival, and the Auckland Pride Parade.
The organisers are calling for registrations of social and cultural events by 12 December.
Wellington Pride Festival | Tū whakahīhī e Te Whanganui-ā-Tara
3rd - 19 March 2017
Out Wellington Inc have announced the dates for the Wellington Pride Festival | Tū whakahihi e Te Whanganui-ā-Tara 2017. The Festival will run from 3rd - 19th March, culminating with the Pride Parade and Out in the Park celebrations on Saturday 18th March ... more on facebook. They welcome offers from organisations and groups to organise events for the Festival.
- Charlotte Museum of lesbian culture, a lesbian museum for New Zealand ... like their facebook page to keep up to date with their events and special exhibitions
- Lesbian social night - last Wednesday of the month at the Auckland Women's Centre
- Lesbian League - social group with a range of activities
- lesbian.co.nz - a directory and more
- Lesbian News Aotearoa successor to the print Tamaki Makaurau Lesbian Newsletter
- aLBa (formerly Auckland Lesbian Business Association) on facebook
- Auckland dykes on facebook
- EquAsian - an LGBTQI+ group for Asian Aucklanders
- Lesbian News Aotearoa's social page - information and contact details
for lesbian groups and activities throughout the country.
gaynz.com/community is also useful
- LSG - Waikato's Social Group for Lesbians and on facebook.
- Waikato/Bay of Plenty Bisexual/Lesbian Women’s Group
- Bay of Plenty dykes on facebook
- Sapphic Table - Meetup group for Tauranga/Bay women who enjoy good, food and conversation in the company of other lesbian/takatāpui women
- Deco Divas - Hawke's Bay
- Wanganui's own 'Flock of Lesbians' - Regular meetings for coffee, activities, support, ideas sharing, and a laugh email: email firstname.lastname@example.org and join in the loop. Lesbians visiting Wanganui welcome to email and we'll meet for coffee.
- Ms Q Manawatu meets the first Friday of every month for drinks.
Are you interested in being involved in the womens LBGT community? For more information and confidential support they offer a 24 hour phone line 022 451 6617 or email email@example.com
- Wellington Lesbian website - calender of activities and links to other local websites
- LILAC - the lesbian library in Wellington
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians - a Wellington region charitable trust
- Christchurch lesbians - information on the Women's Centre website
- Nelson/Tasman area
- Dunedin list on Lesbian News Aotearoa social page
- Beso Queenstown - a monthly LGBT party - on facebook
Social media places
A selection of the facebook groups that may be of interest:
- New Zealand lesbian and bisexual
- NZ lesbians social group - check their events for local meetups ... or set up a brunch lunch whatever ...
- Hutt/Wellington social group for lesbian & bisexual women - plus there are other regional groups
- Queer Network NZ Wellington Chapter
- GLBT New Zealand Hot Topics
- GLBT Young Adults NZ
- NZDF Overwatch - an organisation of Regular, Reserve and Civilian members of the New Zealand Defence Force who are GLBTI their friends, family and allies
- Rainbow families NZ - a friendly forum for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents, prospective parents, and their families
Kiwi media online
NZ Lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull available to view for free online
The NZ lesbian-themed short film Tits on a Bull has been released to view for free online. It was shown during the 2015 NZ International Film Festival, and film maker Tim Worrall was interviewed for GayNZ.com by Jacqui Stanford. Subsequent to Jacqui's article the film has been screened at a number of prestigious LGBTQ festivals internationally including: Framline40, The Iris Prize, Inside Out, Outfest, as well as the Side by Side LGBT film festival in Leningrad, Russia.
Pot Luck web series
Pot Luck - our very own web series - follows the lives of three Wellington friends as they negotiate friendship, family and finding love at their weekly pot luck dinners. Catch up on the episodes you missed!! Also available on TVNZ On demand
PrideNZ audio archive
PrideNZ.com is a community website exploring the voices and opinions of Aotearoa New Zealand's rainbow communities through over 600 audio recordings of interviews and of local LGBTI events. Plus there are transcripts, images and video available - some historically important. More recordings are added regularly.
Support Kiwi groups supporting LGBTIQ youth
Let's support the groups and organisations that support the youth in our communities - they are always short of $$$ for their valuable work. Most are registered charities and have Donate pages on their websites.
- InsideOUT is a national organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of diverse genders and sexualities to live and be in.
- Im Local - a project of Rainbow Youth that helps queer and gender diverse youth all over the country to feel valued, recognised and supported in their local communities. They focus on getting information into smaller centres and rural areas. I'm Local has a give a little we can support.
- Naming New Zealand is an organisation to help transgender, gender diverse and intersex youth with updating their identity documents to correctly reflect their sex and gender.
- TRANZform is a support group for youth who identify as transgender, fa'afafine, whakawahine, tangata ira tane, intersex, two-spirits, genderqueer, non-gendered, questioning and their allies.
- traNZgear is a group of trans* people and supporters dedicated to providing cheap items essential to the day to day living of transgender people throughout New Zealand.
Helplines and support
- OUTline provides a free confidential telephone help line from Auckland for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender & Takataapui (GLBTT) - 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE). Counselling by skype available by arrangement.
- curious.org.nz a resource for young people to share feelings and experiences about sexuality and gender identity with the aim of enhancing connectedness and supporting them to promote diversity in their communities.
- I'm Local is a project to support rural queer and trans* youth.
- breakingboundaries.org.nz - a safe community chat forum for GLBTI and questioning youth.
- Rainbow Youth - an Auckland based organisation that provides support, information and advocacy and education for queer young people and their families. They have released an accessible educational resource which can be viewed online or downloaded.
- Intersex Youth Aotearoa - a place to share information, find support and network.
- Hohou Te Rongo Kahukura - Outing Violence - dedicated to building Rainbow communities in Aotearoa New Zealand free of partner and sexual violence.
Quality care for lesbian, gay and bisexual residents in aged care facilities
A kit created by the School of Nursing at The University of Auckland in collaboration with a working
group drawn from the aged care sector and the Auckland LGB community is available at dropbox. It a
short video, training workbooks for facilitators and participants, and guidelines on caring for LGB residents.
See also the Silver Rainbow faceboook group.
Planning a trip to New Zealand or just a holiday
Women travel New Zealand - essential information for the woman traveller visiting New Zealand.
Web space to go
Free webspace available for Absolutely Positively Lesbian! groups - a page or a wee website xxxxx.lesbian.net.nz - email firstname.lastname@example.org.